Twitter Updates

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Sony Digital Reader VS. Cybook

Decisions. Decisions. Bookeen's Cybook or the Sony Digital Reader? Quite the dilemna. I have been trying to figure out which one I like better and frankly, I'm still stumped. There are pros and cons to each of them. For those of you that don't know...I bought the Cybook in September and won the Sony this past month. I am trying to decide if I need to keep both of them. Well, need is such a STRONG word. Here are a few of the pros and cons that I have found. Maybe you can help me decide or offer up a few more points.

Bookeen Cybook

Pros:
  • Lighter
  • More protective padded leather case
  • It reads more formats including Adobe and Mobipocket
  • I have already spent close to $200 on books that will not transfer to the Sony
  • There are more free Mobipocket books online than Adobe format
  • Cleaner look because of the fewer buttons
  • Different fonts are available


Cons:

  • Does not read all formats of Adobe
  • Harder to toggle through the menu
  • Made of plastic so perhaps not as durable
  • Limited menus so it takes a while to get to your books if you have a lot loaded onto the reader

Sony Digital Reader

Pros:

  • It's RED!
  • More durable because it is metal
  • I actually won it...which hello? What are the chances?
  • More buttons allow easier access to menus
  • More functions because of the buttons
  • Able to purchase a leather case with a night light attached to it
  • Comes with 100 free classical books from Sony
  • You can make "collections". These are similar to your playlists on the iPod

Cons:

  • Will need to re-purchase the books I have already bought for the Cybook because it does not read Mobipocket
  • The metal may get scratches
  • Heavier
  • Reads only 2 formats, Adobe being the main one. However, it reads all Adobe formats
  • Fewer free Adobe books online
  • The 100 free books from Sony are mostly available for free in the Mobipocket format
  • Not as clean of a look because of the buttons
  • Bottom right button is pointless, however, I did find a hack online to change the functions
  • The cases aren't as protective
Hmmmmmm, any opinions?

No comments: